Monday, February 23, 2009

Project Phoenix

15 Feb 2009 & 22 Feb 209

Why Phoenix? It is said that the mythical bird has a 500 to 1,000 year life-cycle, near the end of which it builds itself a nest of twigs that it ignites both nest and bird fiercely and are reduced to ashes. It was from which a new, young phoenix arises, reborn anew to live again. The new phoenix is destined to live as long as its old self.

[Leaders and Rovers from Serangoon Eagles, Bishan Park, ACS Barker and Beatty Beavers]

How true! I was extremely excited when my Rover Leader, Aru sent out an email in assisting him for a 2-Sundays project at Changi Prison. The objective is to help inmates to achieve their NYAA by teaching them skills by participating in fun-filled outdoor activities.

Opportunity comes like a dream come true to step into Changi Prison. It was an eye opener for fellow Rovers Afiq, Stanley and myself. What we have fascinated and imagined on television with the totured screams of the inmates, wardens' constant shoutings, bangings of grilled bars etc are not in reality at all. All are exageratting. In fact, I was surprised by the peaceful surroundings and the well-disciplined and organised inmates.


Though we spent 8hours of time together, i could see that the guys were ready to lease a fresh start towards their future upon release. Every difficulties that my group faced, there are always a few to remind their group members 'Perseverance' and they made it in no time!

During reflection, each of the inmates shared their life goal and ambitions. Interior designer, businessman, singer, policeman, to cope outside world's life..... huh? Outside world's life?! I dont know why his ambition has left a deep impression in my heart. It gave me goosebumps at instant. It was simple yet most significant of all.

From this project, i have learnt alot from my new friends and a new lesson for myself as well. It is very important for the society to give them a new lease of future. Everyone of us have committed mistakes and evil deeds, we have to imply forgiveness and condone for their past mistakes. Give them a NEW chance to make a difference. I believe each of everyone of them are special in their own talents and abilities.

I hope to bump into my friends on streets to find out their progress so far. I sure Project Phoenix is only the beginning, the end has yet to come! I hope i could reach out to my friends even more.. It was one of my most memorable experience in my life to make an impact in their lives, even a small bit.

Alas, I truly experienced the Scouting Movement i learnt during the course: 'to contribute to the development of young people in achieving their physical, intellectual, social and spiritual potentials as individuals, as responsible citizens and as members of their local, national and international communities.'


Rover May Lwin signing off~

No comments:

Post a Comment